Sunday, September 6, 2009

The new country

Before going to Madagascar, I did lots of research about the country. I watched movies, read books and contacted volunteers currently in the country. This time I have done very little research. The main reason for this is the unavailability of pertinent and trustworthy information. I found much of what I ‘knew’ about Madagascar to be regional or incorrect, simply contributing to a false image of what the country and my life there would be like. All I need to know about Togo, I can learn when I get there, and then I will share it with you. For now, I will share a few bits of information, anything else you want to know, right now you have the same resources as I do.

I have heard nothing but good things about the food in Togo.

The indigenous culture is much more lively in W. Africa than in Southern and Eastern Africa.

There will be excessive pressure to drink beer.

Togo is famous for political instability.

While Ghana and Benin have been making steady process in developing, especially in their economies, Togo (right between them) has been making almost none or seeming to move backwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment